Five Day Old Twins Burnt to Death at Harare Hospital
A a set of five day old twins were burnt to death in a nursery at Harare Central Hospital last week. It is obtained that the hospital is still carrying out investigations, “but negligence is suspected.” It was said that the twins were placed in an isolation ward as they were recovering from jaundice.
They were placed in an open cradle where a beam of light was used to provide heating. However, something malfunctioned and the babies were dehydrated and burnt to death. Their mother, Belinda Balalika found the babies dead when she went to breastfeed them at midnight.
A source had informed the press said, “Something malfunctioned and the babies were burnt to death, but what is saddening is the fact that the staff did not check on the babies on time.”
Harare Central Hospital CEO Nyasha Masuka said, “We will be able to give details on Monday when all the investigations have been completed.”
However, the forensic post-mortem carried out indicated the cause of death to be dehydration.
Harare Central Hospital is situated in the Harare – Southerton district of Harare on 96 hectares of land. “It is the principal referral centre for patients from the Northern half of Zimbabwe. The hospital occasionally accepts patients from outside the country. In addition, the Hospital is the main services hospital for the residents in Greater Harare and the adjoining areas.”
The news source revealed that:
“Harare Central Hospital is among public health facilities that are struggling to give quality care with limited funding for operations.”
“The hospital, which is one of the largest referrals, has been dogged by financial challenges which have virtually crippled its operations.”
“Most of the equipment used is obsolete and on many occasions there have been serious drug shortages, a situation which compromises the health of the patients.”